Postgres v.7.3.4 - Performance tuning

From: Michael Brusser <michael(at)synchronicity(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres v.7.3.4 - Performance tuning
Date: 2004-01-15 21:48:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I need to provide recommendations for optimal value for the
shared_buffers. This has to do with some optional feature
we have in our application. If turned on - a number of extra
tables involved in the operations.
I don't have an experience with PG perf. testing and I guess that
I may need to account for the size of the tables, perhaps the size
of index tables as well..?

Any hints, or pointers to related reading would be very appreciated.
Mike.