Re: pg_dump problem

From: Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Srinivas Iyyer <srini_iyyer_bio(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump problem
Date: 2006-08-08 16:47:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Aug 6, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Srinivas Iyyer wrote:
> I have two databases in my system.
>
> In firstdb i am having the following problem:
> firstdb=# \d targets
> ERROR: could not access status of transaction 362
> DETAIL: could not open file
> "/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog/0000": No such file or
> directory
>
> when I vacuumed it:
> $ vacuumdb firstdb
> vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "firstdb" failed:
> ERROR: could not access status of transaction 11
> DETAIL: could not open file
> "/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog/0000": No such file or
> directory

You didn't mention what version you're using, but this sounds a lot
like a corruption problem.

> Second problem:
>
> Issue with secondb - arraydb
>
> $ vacuumdb arraydb
> VACUUM
>
> Suspecting there is something going on with
> postgres,
> I wanted to take a backup of the arraydb.
>
> here is what I am doing:
>
> $ sudo pg_dump arraydb >
> arraydb_bcup_Aug_05_2006.dump
>
> There is nothing in this. I created dumps long back
> and they are heavy.
> I restarted the postgre server /etc/init.d/postgres
> restart Despite this, I am having problems.
>
> $ ls -lh
> total 8.0K
> -rw-r--r-- 1 speri postgres 0 Aug 5 20:17
> arradb_bcup_Aug_05_2006.out

Just where did that out file come from?

> What is in the /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog
> $ sudo ls -lh /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog
> total 80K
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 72K Aug 5 20:12 0001
>
> Logs:
>
> Surprisingly my logs is empty . Is this because I
> restarted the server.

Probably not, unless it's something the init.d script (which we have
nothing to do with) is doing. You probably have logging mis-
configured, or you're looking in the wrong place.