Re: exclude table from transactions

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Subject: Re: exclude table from transactions
Date: 2009-11-24 22:55:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Kurt wrote:
> I'd like to ask, whether there is a way to exclude a table from the
> regular transaction rollback.

Nope, there is not.

> The only solution I came up with till now, is
> to put the log data into the exception's error message, parse the
> pgsql-logging-file in /var/log with a cron-script and fix the log-
> table
> with that.

That's probably the best solution if you want the error message to end
up in a table.

> So what
> I'm looking for, is a table that behaves like a temporary table (e.g.
> excluded from WAL and transaction logic), but with the lifetime of a
> normal table.

Just to be clear, temporary tables partake of the same logic as
regular tables; for example, even a TEMPORARY ON COMMIT DROP table can
be used with savepoints within a transaction.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com