Re: out of memory error

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Geoffrey Myers <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: out of memory error
Date: 2011-07-03 16:50:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On 3 Jul 2011, at 12:00, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> We have a process that we successfully ran on virtually identical databases. The process completed fine on a machine with 8 gig of memory. The process fails when run on another machine that has 16 gig of memory with the following error:
>
> out of memory for query result

You didn't mention what client you're using, but could it possibly be the client that's running out of memory? The fact that it's happening in the query result seems to point to the client.

Another thing you might want to check: Does the second server have at least as much shared memory configured in the kernel as the first has?

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4e109dd612097665720452!