Re: single index on more than two coulumns a bad thing?

From: "Leeuw van der, Tim" <tim(dot)leeuwvander(at)nl(dot)unisys(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: single index on more than two coulumns a bad thing?
Date: 2004-04-04 21:06:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Aaron,

It depends on your data-distribution, but I find that in almost all cases it's beneficial to have your indexes the other way round in such cases:

index on grandfather_table(grandfather)
index on father_table(father, grandfather)
index on son_table(son, father, grandfather)

That usually gives a less common, more selective value at the start of the index, making the initial selection in the index smaller.

And AFAIK I don't have to rewrite my queries for that; the planner doesn't care about the order of expressions in the query that are on the same level.

That said, I tend to use 'surrogate keys'; keys generated from sequences or auto-number columns for my tables. It makes the tables less readable, but the indexes remain smaller.

Greetings,

--Tim