Re: client/server versions

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Dick Visser <dnmvisser(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: client/server versions
Date: 2023-11-21 14:03:13
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 21 Nov 2023, at 14:31, Dick Visser <dnmvisser(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 at 14:07, Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 6:29 AM Dick Visser <dnmvisser(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:dnmvisser(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:

> I already found out that there are compatibility issues if I use the client programs from the Debian VM when they're older than the server version.
>
> Like what?
>
> For starters:
>
> pg_restore: error: unsupported version (1.15) in file header

Older versions of tools are not guaranteed to be compatible with newer versions
of the server. You should use the dump/restore tools of the version you are
targeting. For other clients like psql it's usually fine to use the latest
version against older servers.

If you have a mix of server versions installed you need to put in the work of
ensuring you are using the right version of the clients as well.

--
Daniel Gustafsson