Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL
Date: 2013-07-29 17:48:33
Lists: pgsql-www

On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> We just got a post to pgsql-announce like this:
>>
>>> [SnakeOil] is planning to add support of PostgreSQL to the [SnakeOil] Engine
>>> product, and could use the help and expertise of people within the Postgres
>>> community to ensure that we are building a product that works well for
>>> Postgres environments.
>
> If I was responding to SnakeOil CEO, here's what I would say:
>
> ISTM the right place for this is postgresql.org "latest news" section.
> this gets you on the .rss feed and seems to have a long established
> history for 3rd party tie-ins. -announce is for internal project
> announcements.

This would not be approved for .org based on http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval#Proprietary_.26_External_OSS_Project_News - it's not a product release, it's a call for help. Once the product is actually released, the likelihood of being approved for .org is significantly greater.

Jonathan