Re: IDPUG Registration on PostgreSQL Website

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Lucky Haryadi <lucky(at)equnix(dot)asia>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IDPUG Registration on PostgreSQL Website
Date: 2017-12-30 03:04:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Lucky,

> On Dec 29, 2017, at 8:17 PM, Lucky Haryadi <lucky(at)equnix(dot)asia> wrote:
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org <mailto:jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>> wrote:
> Hi Lucky,
>
>> On Dec 28, 2017, at 11:34 PM, Lucky Haryadi <lucky(at)equnix(dot)asia <mailto:lucky(at)equnix(dot)asia>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to inform that Indonesia has already had a PostgreSQL User Group, called IDPUG.
>> We already have 4 community events, held since 2016, as you can see on our Meetup website
>>
>> https://www.meetup.com/Indonesia-PostgreSQL/ <https://www.meetup.com/Indonesia-PostgreSQL/>
>>
>> Most of people in IDPUG are enterprises users, implementors, students, and developers who use PostgreSQL in Indonesia.
>> We want to register IDPUG to postgresql.org <http://postgresql.org/> website for Local User Group.
>> Please tell us if there are some requirements to be fulfilled to register the user group.
>
> That is exciting news! I have added IDPUG to the user groups [https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/ <https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/>] page.
>

> Thank you for attaching IDPUG on the website :)
> And we would like to update the website link to be directed to www.postgresql.or.id <http://www.postgresql.or.id/>.

I looked at this page and it looks more like a sales portal than a user group community page. While it does contain some compelling facts about PostgreSQL and has some very good reasons to use it, there are a few things that do not appear to adhere to the spirit of the community:

* It is unclear that this is a site for IDPUG - IDPUG is not even mentioned until the footer of the page, which takes awhile to scroll to
* There is very strong marketing copy at the bottom soliciting user info to connect to a sales team, i.e. “Get a quotation”

I’m happy for someone to chime in and disagree with me, but I would not feel comfortable linking to this website from .org

Best,

Jonathan