FATAL 1: Sorry, too many clients already

From: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FATAL 1: Sorry, too many clients already
Date: 2002-11-08 17:31:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

OMG, I'm about to rip my hair out. I've been writing a webapp using
DBD::Pg and it has been accessing postgresql for weeks without
problems. Suddenly this morning with no changes to the setup, I get:
FATAL 1: Sorry, too many clients already
whenever I try to use the webapp (running under user "apache"). This
message appears when I have psql open and in the httpd error_log.
However, if I connect using psql via the domain socket or tcp socket, I
have no problems! I restarted postgres, apache, and the entire server
and the shit won't go away. What am I doing wrong?!
Setup:
RedHat 7.1
pgsql 7.2.2
Nothing other than the db and webapp are running on the server. What
should I do?
AgentM
agentm(at)cmu(dot)edu