Re: Slow standby snapshot

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Michail Nikolaev <michail(dot)nikolaev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kirill Reshke <reshkekirill(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow standby snapshot
Date: 2022-07-03 09:42:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 1 Apr 2022, at 04:18, Michail Nikolaev <michail(dot)nikolaev(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> Just an updated commit message.

I've looked into v5.

IMO the purpose of KnownAssignedXidsNext would be slightly more obvious if it was named KnownAssignedXidsNextOffset.
Also please consider some editorialisation:
s/high value/big number/g
KnownAssignedXidsNext[] is updating while taking the snapshot. -> KnownAssignedXidsNext[] is updated during taking the snapshot.
O(N) next call -> amortized O(N) on next call

Is it safe on all platforms to do "KnownAssignedXidsNext[prev] = n;" while only holding shared lock? I think it is, per Alexander's comment, but maybe let's document it?

Thank you!

Thanks! Best regards, Andrey Borodin.