Re: Ultra-cheap NVRAM device

From: Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ultra-cheap NVRAM device
Date: 2005-10-03 17:15:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:02 AM, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> I thought this might be interesting, not the least due to the
> extremely low
> price ($150 + the price of regular DIMMs):

This has been posted before, and the main reason nobody got very
excited is that:

a) it only uses the PCI bus to provide power to the device, not for I/O
b) It is limited to SATA bandwidth
c) The benchmarks did not prove it to be noticeably faster than a
good single SATA drive

A few of us were really excited at first too, until seeing the
benchmarks..

-Dan