Re: Question to schema public

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Kai Behncke *EXTERN*" <Kai-Behncke(at)gmx(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question to schema public
Date: 2007-09-12 09:19:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Kai Behncke wrote:
> If I create on my system (Postgresql 8.2.4) a new database it
> gets automatically the schema public.
>
> I would like to know what this schema is for?

It is kind of a "default schema". If you keep the standard
configuration, then every user can access objects in this schema
without specifying a schema name.

If you don't need schema public, you can also delete it without
breaking anything.

> On my system I have a couple of different users.
> The owner of the public-schema is postgres.
>
> Could it be Fatal to give all of my users the maximum
> permissions to change that public schema? What could be the result?

That shouldn't be a problem. It means that
a) every user can create objects in this schema
b) every user can access objects in this schema
(IF the object allows it)

Yours,
Laurenz Albe