Re: Parallel Insert and Delete operation

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Yelai, Ramkumar IN BLR STS *EXTERN*" <ramkumar(dot)yelai(at)siemens(dot)com>, "Moshe Jacobson" <moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel Insert and Delete operation
Date: 2012-11-05 10:30:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Ramkumar Yelai wrote:
[is worried that a database might become inconsistent if conflicting
INSERTs and DELETEs occur]
> @Albe - I got you first point. The second point is little skeptical
because postgres could have been
> avoided this lock by using MVCC. Please correct me if I am wrong?

Which lock could have been avoided?

PostgreSQL locks rows when the data change.
That has little to do with MVCC.

If you INSERT into a table that has a foreign key, the
referenced row in the referenced table gets a SHARE lock
that conflicts with the EXCLUSIVE lock required for
a DELETE.
So they cannot execute concurrently.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe