Re: max_connections

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Modumudi, Sireesha *EXTERN*" <Sireesha(dot)Modumudi(at)emc(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: max_connections
Date: 2012-09-06 08:20:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Sireesha Modumudi wrote:
> I am using postgres 8.3.9 on SUSE 64 bit. By default max_connections
is 100, but I want to know if
> this can be increased, if so, what should we take into consideration?

It can be increased, but you habe to restart the server for
the change to take effect.

It is not a good idea to increase the setting without thought.
There is a Wiki article about it:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Number_Of_Database_Connections

If you need more than 100 connections, consider the use of a
connection pool.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe