Re: Locking Tables & Backup Inquiry

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Carlos Mennens *EXTERN*" <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locking Tables & Backup Inquiry
Date: 2011-12-15 08:26:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Carlos Mennens wrote:
>> 0 4 * * * /usr/bin/pg_dumpall>  pg_dumpall.$DATE.sql
>>
>> that'll run at 4am every day.

> When I run the command in my shell (not in Cron), I'm prompted for my
> login password. Should I change the permissions in pg_hba.conf and
> enable INHERIT grants on my user? Should I place this in who's Cron
> line? Postgres? Carlos? or Root?

I'd use the postgres user and allow "trust" authentication for that
user on local connections in pg_hba.conf. No grants are required.

If you have write activity during the backup and you need all data
of a database to be consistent, consider using pg_dump's
--serializable-deferrable flag.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe