Re: Postgres Security Checklist

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Tom Lane *EXTERN*" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <eduardohitek(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Security Checklist
Date: 2009-04-06 14:13:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Here is my personal security checklist for PostgreSQL:
>
> > - Check that there is no SQL function with SECURITY DEFINER.
>
> Uh, that seems a pretty strange restriction. Generally, if you are
> actually concerned about security at the SQL-command level, you're
> going to have to have some SECURITY DEFINER functions. You can't
> build a Unix system without suid programs, either.

I was referring to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-02/msg00646.php

I should have been more precise - I mean "functions with LANGUAGE SQL".

I guess the security leak is fixed with the SET clause in CREATE FUNCTION,
so this is probably obsolete.

> > - Check that pg_hba.conf forbids remote connections to use "password", "crypt" or "ident" authentication.
>
> Most people think that remote "ident" is not very secure.

That's what I mean.
Again, I should have been more precise:
- Make sure that pg_hba.conf does not permit remote connections to use
"password", "crypt" or "ident" authentication.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe