Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jason Earl" <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-21 04:03:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

No. And as an outsider, I rather doubt if any procedures I developed
would be taken very seriously. If such procedures are to be developed,
I suspect that they will have to be developed from within if they are to
be successful.

This would be a good start:

A. Combine:
1. Your regression test
2. Crashme (or some rough equivalent if you don't like it)
3. The NIST validation test suite
B. Automate:
1. Installation of the tests
2. Execution of the tests
3. Transfer of the test results to a repository
4. Analysis of the test results
C. Assign:
1. Criteria for acceptance of a build for release
2. Authority for acceptance of a build for release
3. Delegation rules for issue resolution
4. Procedures for issue resolution

> > I am sure that MySQL must have something in place
> > like that. Their "Crash-Me" test suite shows (at least) that they
> > have put a large effort into testing.
>
> ...ROTFL... Crash-Me is not a regression test. It is a
> marketing effort.

Let's see...
Their marketing effort checks for STANDARDS conformance against over
several hundred distinct, important properties.
Their marketing effort checks for a number of interesting and valuable
extensions.
Their marketing effort checks for system safety in a manner that is
better than anything I have ever seen from a commercial vendor.

And the PostgreSQL regression test is superior in what ways?

Look at this:
http://www.mysql.com/information/crash-me.php?mysql_4_1=on&postgres=on

Their marketing effort makes PostgreSQL look superior to MySQL in most
areas. If it is a marketing effort, then we must applaud them for their
honesty.