Table space grow big - PostgreSQL

From: Khangelani Gama <Khangelani(dot)Gama(at)ucs-software(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Table space grow big - PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-05-05 11:36:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all

Please assist on this scenario, I am a junior DBA, perhaps the question I have is too simple please bear with me.

I have a server with one PostgreSQL database and the data reside in /usr/local/pgsql/data/ running on Redhat 9 O/S.

File system looks as follows:

/dev/hda3 73G 61G 8.7G 88% /
/dev/hda1 99M 63M 32M 67% /boot
none 441M 0 441M 0% /dev/shm

Disc space utilization looks as follows where the data/ directory seems to be taking a lot of space compared to any other directories:

From / directory on user root/:

Size directory
4.0K ./lost+found
58M ./boot
436K ./dev
900M ./proc
1.1G ./var
263M ./tmp
25M ./etc
26M ./root
57G ./usr
5.3M ./bin
2.0G ./home
4.0K ./initrd
68M ./lib
32K ./mnt
4.0K ./opt
15M ./sbin
4.0K ./misc
4.0K ./.automount
48K ./tftpboot
44K ./backup
211M ./u
8.0K ./backups
62G . - Size

/usr/local/pgsql/data/base directory shows the following where 95186722/ takes a lot of space :

3.6M ./1
3.6M ./16975
51G ./95186722
4.8M ./4830693
51G .

Some files (which are called table space names, please correct me if I am wrong?) listed under 95186722/ directory shows different sizes where the biggest of all is 440M :

-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16K May 5 12:50 219436402
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16K May 5 12:50 219436401
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16K May 5 12:50 219436400
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16K May 5 12:50 219436399
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 34M May 5 12:50 219436274
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 42M May 5 12:50 219436273
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 43M May 5 12:50 219436272
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 42M May 5 12:50 219436271
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 34M May 5 12:50 219436270
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 42M May 5 12:50 219436269
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 42M May 5 12:50 219436268
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 51M May 5 12:50 219436267
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 34M May 5 12:50 219436266
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 51M May 5 12:50 219436265
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 15M May 5 12:50 218478745
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 11M May 5 12:50 218478744
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 10M May 5 12:50 218478743
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 13M May 5 12:50 218478742
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 440M May 5 12:50 216081969.1

Now the dump file of the very same database created by using command : pg_dump -U user -O dbname > /tmp/filename is 2.8G big. :

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.8G May 5 12:47 db.dump

The main question I have is: What makes the /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/95186722/ grow so big while the actual data with its schema is only 2.8G and that is there a way to reduce the table space sizes or anything related to that?

Your response will be truly appreciated

Thanks
Khangelani Gama

Confidentiality Notice:http://ucs.co.za/conf.html

The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential information of UCS Group and/or its subsidiaries. Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone other than the intended addressee is prohibited. If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer immediately and destroy the e-mail. UCS Group Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.