Re: dead links in documentation

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dead links in documentation
Date: 2017-09-14 08:29:14
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 13 Sep 2017, at 23:23, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> The following external links in the documentation have been dead for a
> while. I haven't been able to find any plausible replacements, so I
> propose to remove them unless someone has a better idea.
>
> http://itrc.hp.com
> http://www.hp.com/go/gcc
>
> (These were proposed for downloading additional software for HP-UX.)

The HP Software Depot have links to downloading GCC somewhat hidden on pages
for other open source software for which having a compiler is useful (Apache
httpd for example). That being said, these links seem to be all dead as well
leading to a "The service is unavailable” page.

https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/index.do
https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUXWSATW405

There are 3rd party packagers of depots which do offer GCC though, if we want
to link to a != hp.com site:

http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/downloads.html
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/

cheers ./daniel