Debugging code on server?

From: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Debugging code on server?
Date: 2016-05-04 16:43:19
Lists: pgsql-general

This is a fork from my "Love your database" question. It's a separable concern, so I moved it here.

Let's say I want to use Postgres' *amazing* support for lots of languages. I want to use Javascript or PERL or Ruby or something. How do I debug the code?

I can imagine things you might set up: using LISTEN/NOTIFY to a simple logger that would let you see what's going on. There are breakpoints and such in PGAdmin, but I'll be that doesn't work for other languages.

Any thoughts?