Re: Design Considerations for New Authentication Methods

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Design Considerations for New Authentication Methods
Date: 2006-11-02 19:42:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 2, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:45:24AM -0800, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> In my case I have good control over the Kerberos infrastructure, but
>> none over the Federal PKI infrastructure. I also want the data
>> channel encryption tied to the client identity so I don't have to
>> worry about Man In The Middle attacks.
>
> The encryption of a channel has nothing to do with verifying the
> client/server is who they say they are. They can be configured
> independantly. You can block Man-in-the-middle attacks without
> encrypting the channel, though it is unusual.

Not actually true, at least not in a provable, general sense.

There is no way to know that the other end of an encrypted channel is
connected where you want it unless you have done some kind of client/
server mutual authentication as part of establishing the channel.
TLS does (or can do) this. If PostgreSQL can pick up e.g. the UID
from the client cert, then this is a very secure setup. Cudos! (Now
if only TLS had something better than RFC 2712 to integrate with
Kerberos.)

You can do a client/server mutual auth exchange without later
encrypting the channel, but then there is nothing to prevent someone
from later doing a TCP hijack. This is what the current Kerberos
support does.
----
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu