Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown

From: "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)partin(dot)io>
To: "Jelte Fennema-Nio" <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: "Daniel Gustafsson" <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "PostgreSQL Developers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
Date: 2024-10-02 04:17:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat Jun 29, 2024 at 5:24 AM EDT, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 at 20:40, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
>> I have my "less" set up so that "less somefile.md" automatically renders
>> the markdown. That's been pretty useful. But if that now keeps making
>> a mess out of PostgreSQL's README files, then I'm going to have to keep
>> fixing things, and I might get really mad. That's the worst that could
>> happen. ;-)
>
> Do you have reason to think that this is going to be a bigger issue
> for Postgres READMEs than for any other markdown files you encounter?
> Because this sounds like a generic problem you'd run into with your
> "less" set up, which so far apparently has been small enough that it's
> worth the benefit of automatically rendering markdown files.
>
>> So I don't agree with "aspirational markdown". If we're going to do it,
>> then I expect that the files are marked up correctly at all times.
>
> I think for at least ~90% of our README files this shouldn't be a
> problem. If you have specific ones in mind that contain difficult
> markup/diagrams, then maybe we shouldn't convert those.
>
>> Conversely, what's the best that could happen?
>
> That your "less" would automatically render Postgres READMEs nicely.
> Which you say has been pretty useful ;-) And maybe even show syntax
> highlighting for codeblocks.
>
> P.S. Now I'm wondering what your "less" is.

I'm also interested in your config, Peter. I've been using glow[0] to
render markdown in my terminal, but I don't have that configured with
less(1)[1].

[0]: https://github.com/charmbracelet/glow
[1]: https://git.sr.ht/~tristan957/dotfiles/tree/5a267b7e0de260f814a1830f98c55d1accb9d72e/item/less/.config/environment.d/z-01-less.conf#L4

--