Re: systems 2007 ...

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: systems 2007 ...
Date: 2007-10-30 07:38:39
Lists: pgeu-general

On Oct 30, 2007, at 12:12 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 08:47 +0200, Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
>
>> - "what is the difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL?"
>> - "we use PostgreSQL; we are so happy; keep doing "
>> - "we use Oracle, is PostgreSQL as powerful as Oracle?"
>
> Sounds familiar. I also get "Does Postgres do replication?"

yeah, i definitely missed that one ...
the MySQL transaction log shipping is definitely something people are
asking for.
it would definitely make sense to implement the streaming stuff Hannu
has suggested along with the "slave read / only" feature.
it takes away a lot of pressure on the argumentation side.

> If there is debate, I just show people the MySQL v Postgres
> performance
> data from tweakers.net. That usually makes MySQL advocates go all
> quiet.

as far as speed is concerned we usually use: "MySQL guys only focus
on speed - not so much on stability. does it help if MySQL can eat
your data fast? PostgreSQL guys focus on proper development and
stability. doing proper development leads to high-performance and we
can prove that with countless benchmarks made by independent people" :).
the "eats your data fast" argument seems to stay in mind *g* :).

hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26, 2700 Wiener Neustadt