[Pljava-dev] Is it safe to use multi-threaded PL/Java in single-threaded postgres process?

From: maumau307 at gmail(dot)com (MauMau)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Is it safe to use multi-threaded PL/Java in single-threaded postgres process?
Date: 2014-04-14 11:54:51
Lists: pljava-dev

From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thomas at tada.se>
> 3. For a test like yours, the time it takes to execute the actual
> statement is important. The execution may be so slow that the overhead
> imposed by the network call becomes negligible. A test using a lightweight
> "SELECT 1" instead of the heavier "UPDATE testtable" would reveal such
> issues.

Yeah, I thought this is the most likely. We are trying to speed up batch
jobs dramatically, and I hoped PL/Java's in-process architecture would
contribute to that.

But I wonder why in-process execution didn't make a big difference. I
expected several times of difference because I saw the PollPosition
benchmark results at http://hsqldb.org/. It compares HSQLDB's in-process
and client-server execution models. I assume the client and the server ran
on the same host.

Anyway, in-process and out-of-process execution doesn't seem to make a big
difference for batch jobs which issue many SQL statements.

Regards
MauMau