Subscription to Postgres Releases via ICS

From: "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)partin(dot)io>
To: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-08-09 16:27:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey all,

A lot of calendaring software includes the ability to subscribe to
a calendar. For instance, in my personal life, I subscribe to a US
Holidays calendar[0]. I wanted to see if anyone else thought it might be
a good idea to host an ICS file on postgresql.org that people could
subscribe to. Someone does a good job of updating the roadmap[1]. Seems
like we could put this same data into an ICS for subscription purposes.
Then I can get notifications via my calendar about upcoming releases. It
might also be good to add the dates when a release goes out of support.

I can see this being useful for many types of people including:

- Packagers (though they also have their mailing list)
- Users (knowing when they should start preparing for an upgrade)
- Providers (knowing when to prepare their stack for upgrades)
- News outlets (when to launch/prepare articles or benchmarks)

Without the ICS file, one would have to come to the roadmap site and
manually enter events into their calendar, and repeatedly come check the
site to see if dates were moved or when new dates are added.

What would it take to facilitate this if others would be interested?

[0]: https://www.officeholidays.com/ics-clean/usa
[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/

--
Tristan Partin