Running initdb from another process

From: "Greg Fairbanks" <fairbanksg(at)seapine(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Running initdb from another process
Date: 2006-12-12 15:36:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am looking at trying to integrate PostgreSQL into our software.
Basically, I want to have our

software to spawn postgres so the user doesn't have to concern
themselves with managing the

database. I am using the Windows calls LogonUser and CreateProcessAsUser
to start initdb as

an unprivileged user. However, I am running into trouble on Windows
Vista. Initdb will startup,

but when it starts postgres.exe, postgres.exe seems to get hung up on
the CreateFileMapping

call while setting up shared memory. This only happens on Vista. It
works perfectly on Windows

NT4/2000/XP/2003. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with
this type of situation and

could lend any help.

Thanks,

Greg