Re: strange hung processes

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Ben Kim" <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu>, "Jeremy Ashcraft" <jashcraft(at)edgate(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange hung processes
Date: 2006-02-02 19:39:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ben Kim wrote:
>> We're running 7.4.9 and have run into something strange.
>> A group of processes seem to have hung and cannot be killed. netstat
>> showed that there were no active TCP connections at the time.
>> Sending SIGTERM to the parent process caused PG to begin its
>> shutdown, but it never finished. We then kill -9 the postmaster,
>> which caused it to die, but these child procs remain, even after a
>> clean restart. Our next step is to reboot the box, but before we
>> do, I'm just curious anyone else has seen this, why this happened,
>> and if anyone know ways to prevent this from happening again.....
>
> If it's not sensitive information, what does this show?
>
> lsof | grep 'pid of hung process'

from the save-a-process committee:

lsof -p 'pid of hung process'

will give the same info :)

LER
--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX 78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com