Re: q re removal/recycling of WAL files

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: q re removal/recycling of WAL files
Date: 2021-11-04 00:57:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Nov 3, 2021, at 5:37 PM, Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net> wrote:
>
> WAL file can’t be recycled until it is no longer needed; thus after a checkpoint and archived as well (if enabled).

Ah yes, that's it! We are archiving WAL, and I imagine what happened easily outran the pace of archiving.

There was an exponential backoff between the retries, so although I could imagine rapid-fire retries filling disk with WAL before checkpoint running, I was having a little doubt about that happening in this case. I'm sure it was the archiving.