pgAdmin Freezing Up (Possible Greenplum Client Conflict?)

From: "Maney, Jack L" <JLManey(at)dstsystems(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgAdmin Freezing Up (Possible Greenplum Client Conflict?)
Date: 2014-12-29 17:34:03
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

This morning, I tried to upgrade PostgreSQL from 9.3.5 to 9.4 via Homebrew on my MacBook. I tried following these instructions<http://blog.55minutes.com/2013/09/postgresql-93-brew-upgrade/> to migrate my data. However, I slipped up and accidentally deleted the wrong directory (ie the directory containing the new data instead of the old). Since I was using my local postgres installation as a client only, this was no big deal, so I just wiped and reinstalled via Homebrew. I also upgraded pgAdmin to 1.20.0. All this time, I've had the Greenplum Client (v4.3.3.1) installed, but the Greenplum client psql is after Homebrew's psql on my path (ie `which psql` produces `/usr/local/bin/psql` instead of `/usr/local/greenplum-clients-4.3.3.1-build-1/bin/psql`).

Everything seemed fine, or so I thought, until I tried opening pgAdmin to find that it freezes.

* Attached is a screenshot of what happens (in case the attachment doesn't make it into the mailing list, the splash screen appears along with a single pop-up whose title is "pgAdmin III" and whose contents are "/usr/local/greenplum-clients-4.3.3.1-build-1" and an "OK" button).
* I can take the Greenplum client off of my path (by temporarily moving the client directory from /usr/local into my home folder), and then pgAdmin starts up just fine.
* Figuring that there might have been some leftover cruft from the Homebrew installation, I removed that entirely and installed PostgreSQL via the graphical installer<http://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/> (which includes pgAdmin). The issue persists.
* After changing the prepended psql location on my path (now /Library/PostgreSQL/9.4/bin/psql) and telling pgAdmin where to look for the psql bin within Preferences, the same issue persists.

I've done some googling, but haven't come up with anything. I'm running out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jack Maney

Please consider the environment before printing this email and any attachments.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail or the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender. If you have received this transmission in error, please return the material received to the sender and delete all copies from your system.

Attachment Content-Type Size
Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 11.22.42 AM.png image/png 146.7 KB