Re: Success (Re: page 1 of relation global/11787 was uninitialized)

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Success (Re: page 1 of relation global/11787 was uninitialized)
Date: 2013-04-09 18:04:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Apr9, 2013, at 19:56 , "Stephen R. van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl> wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
>> Afaik debian has never shipped 9.0 in any stable release at all. You can
>> use the packages provided by the postgres community though, they are
>> compatible:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt
>
> I used this to upgrade to 9.0.13, which indeed is fully compatible with
> Debian. It started up like a charm. I can upgrade it to 9.1.9 now
> (while I'm at it).

Since you've been running with full_page_writes=off, I suggest you update
to 9.1 by dumping and reloading your data (i.e. pg_dumpall) instead of
via binary upgrades (i.e. pg_upgrade).

That way, you can be sure that your data is consistent (from postgres'
POV anyway) after the upgrade. pg_upgrade OTOH will only notice
inconsistencies in the system tables, since the data files of user tables
and indices are simply copied unchanged.

best regards,
Florian Pflug