Re: Postgresql Database and PG_WAL locations

From: Matthew Tice <mjtice(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql Database and PG_WAL locations
Date: 2024-08-29 19:11:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Aug 29, 2024, at 1:02 PM, Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 2:22 PM Matthew Tice <mjtice(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:mjtice(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>>> On Aug 29, 2024, at 12:18 PM, Henry Ashu <henry(dot)ashu(at)dat(dot)com <mailto:henry(dot)ashu(at)dat(dot)com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a database that's about 2TB in size, and I want to place the database files in a separate mount point(PGDATA) and the log files in a different mount point(PG_WAL). What's your take on this?.
>>>

>> Take a look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Installation_and_Administration_Best_practices
>>
>> Essentially, yes, you will want your WAL and data stored on different devices (or the very least, different partitions).
>

> Is that recommendation still valid? After all, that was written when 15 years old Sun Studio 12 was still pertinent. Times have changed since then. Disks are much, much bigger.

Good point. I didn’t even notice that disclaimer at the top "Seek knowledge elsewhere, as the material in here predates Postgres 9 it seems.”…

But regarding the wal/data separation, I still think it’s relevant (isolating the IO between data files and wal). But I guess like anything else it depends on your workload (and, in this case, your storage subsystem capabilities).