Planner cost adjustments

From: Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Planner cost adjustments
Date: 2015-05-29 13:39:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

Running some queries, I found that the planner often selects sequential scan
instead of an index scan, even if the latter is way faster (one order of
magnitude faster if I consider some tests I made by setting enable_seqscan =
ON/OFF). How can I figure out what parameter I should adjust to get the
planner select an appropriate plan that would better consider my DB setup?

I had a look at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-query.html but at
this point it is too much information for me;-) Any rules of thumb, recipes
I could use to select which parameters I should look at first?

Daniel