UUID, UUID-OSSP extension, and ODBC issue

From: Jeremy Thornton <consolity(at)outlook(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: UUID, UUID-OSSP extension, and ODBC issue
Date: 2014-02-28 16:31:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-odbc

ODBC: pgsql 09.03.0200;OS: Windows 8.1 Pro;Postgres version: 9.3.3;
In using pgsqlODBC 09.03.0200
or any version prior that we have tested we seem to be having a
performance decrease to only 625 inserts per second when
using UUID as the primary key and using the UUID-OSSP to generate
the default value of uuid_generate_v1() whereas if we generate the
UUID client side for the primary key and send it with the values in
the insert transaction we can increase it to 1500 inserts per second
bypassing the UUID-OSSP extension. This is consistent and
repeatable. The only change being made is Postgres generating the
UUID using the extension or us passing the value in the insert
statement. If Postgres generates it internally while inserting using a script through PgAdmin then it can generate at near 2000 inserts per second so
uuid-ossp shouldn't be the problem since it can keep up inside PgAdmin, but when
used over default settings in ODBC it is 2/3 slower. The data being
tested is the same in all cases. I am using a default System DSN on
Windows 8.1 Pro (no special settings). Is this a bug, expected behavior, or a settings
adjustment that needs to be made?

DSN settings:
AB = 0BI = 0BoolsAsChar = 1ByteaAsLongVarbinary = 1CancelAsFreeStmt = 0CommLog = 0Debug = 0DisallowPremature = 0Driver = 0903\bin\psqlodbc30a.dllExtraSysTablePrefixes = dd_;FakeOidIndex = 0Fetch = 100GssAuthUseGSS = 0Ksqo = 1LFConversion = 1LowerCaseIdentifier = 0MaxLongVarcharSize = 8190MaxVarCharSize = 255Optimizer = 0Parse = 0Port = 5432Protocol = 7.4-1ReadOnly = 0RowVersioning = 0ShowOidColumn = 0ShowSystemTables = 0SSLmode = allowTextAsLongVarchar = 1TurelsMinus1 = 0UniqueIndex = 1UnknownsAsLongVarChar = 1UnkownSizes = 0UpdatableCursors = 1UseDeclareFetch = 0UseServerSidePrepare = 1XaOpt = 1