How to configure pgsql in such a way that it is always recoverable?

From: RP Khare <passionate_programmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to configure pgsql in such a way that it is always recoverable?
Date: 2010-11-03 16:38:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I migrated a MySQL database to pgsql 9.0.1. I have never used pgsql before and therefore want to learn all the possible ways to keep the database up and running. Following are my queries:

If pgsql service fails to start or due to any reason pgsql database is not connecting, how to restart the service. Where to check for errors?Imagine a scenario where there is no backup of the database and all I have is the present installation. I want to move my existing database to another PC where a fresh installation of pgsql awaits. Which are those files that need to be moved and how to attach these files on the other installation?I want to enable all types of Redo logs like things and all types of backup options. I also want to take automatic scheduled backups. How to do this?
Regards,
Rohit P. Khare