Vacuum strategies

From: "Michael Mattox" <michael(dot)mattox(at)verideon(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Vacuum strategies
Date: 2003-05-29 10:21:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

When I run vacuum (I usually do "vacuum full verbose analyze"), I get a
message saying vacuum should only be performed when no one is using the
database. My database is used for a website which is active 24 hours a day,
so I'm curious what kind of vacuum strategy I should use? Should I shut
down the website to vacuum or should I just schedule the vacuum to run in
the middle of the night? So far I've been doing it while the website is
running without any problems.

Thanks,
Michael Mattox