High Disk Utilization on Master with Streaming Replication Running 9.2.4

From: Joel Avni <javni(at)arubanetworks(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: High Disk Utilization on Master with Streaming Replication Running 9.2.4
Date: 2014-07-18 23:44:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
What is the disk overhead for streaming replication? I have noticed that PostgreSQL’s disk utilization goes up by 3x on the master when a slave is connected. The setup only uses streaming replication, i.e. archive is off, there is no archive command. I see with iotop that the wal writer process is averaging 80% of IO. If I stop the slave, then IO utilization on the master drops to ~20%. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I have wal_keep_segments at 2048, checkpoint_segments at 96.
Thank you,
Joel