Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] cannot find www.pgbuildfarm.org

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: PGBuildFarm <pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] cannot find www.pgbuildfarm.org
Date: 2006-10-23 00:10:11
Lists: buildfarm-members

On Oct 22, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Jeremy Drake wrote:
>>> My buildfarm scripts are failing with an error about not being
>>> able to
>>> find www.pgbuildfarm.org, and I cannot go there in my web browser
>>> either.
>>> I tried to ping it from a completely different setup and it also
>>> cannot
>>> resolve www.pgbuildfarm.org.
>>>

>> This was resolved early this morning. However propagation is taking
>> longer than normal. We are not sure what is causing the long
>> rebound on
>> the DNS but the original problem was due to a domain expiration
>> (which
>> has been dealt with). I also noticed (verified by more than one
>> source)
>> that we were incapable of using whois with .info and .org domains
>> for a
>> while this morning.
>>
>> I think there are a couple of things resolving themselves at this
>> time ;)
>>

> This still seems to be an issue. It's very unfortunate to have that
> happening at this time in the release cycle.
>
> The only good news is that the buildfarm script won't set the
> success flag
> unless the web transaction works.

It's an issue at the registrar, not a DNS problem. discountdomains
still have
it set to "client hold", and until that's cleared the authoritative
nameservers
won't be pushed to the .org root over at ultra.

I normally wouldn't suggest this, as it's a recipe for DNS pain, but if
you add the line "207.173.203.146 www.pgbuildfarm.org" to your hosts
file you'll have access again. But, if you do that, be very, very, VERY
sure to remove it again once things are resolved.

I doubt there's anything anyone but Joshua can do to kick things
along, but I'm a tucows reseller and a dns geek, and if I can be of
any help
I'd be happy to do stuff.

Cheers,
Steve