Re: BUG #15805: Problem with lower function for greek sigma (Σ) letter

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: BUG #15805: Problem with lower function for greek sigma (Σ) letter
Date: 2019-05-15 09:53:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On 15 May 2019, at 09:57, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 15805
> Logged by: Sergey kuznetsov
> Email address: iksss(dot)88(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.10
> Operating system: linux
>
> I see unexpected behaviour of lower function for greek sigma letter Σ.
> According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma) if this letter
> is in final word position, it should be ς in lowercase, and not σ. But
> PotgreSQL lower function returns σ, for example lower('ΔΗΜΟΤΕΣ ΦΑΙΣΤΟΥ') =
> "δημοτεσ φαιστου" instead of "δημοτες φαιστου". So if I try to pass this
> lower string from another part of a system (java code, for example) Postgre
> will not return this row cause it differs from java-generated one.

This is indeed a bug, and a rare occurrence since AFAICT from ISO 30112 and
googling there is only a single case of word-final lowercasing which is this
sigma. The attached patch takes a stab at fixing this.

cheers ./daniel

Attachment Content-Type Size
sigma-wordfinal.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB