Re: Multi Master Replication

From: "Anand Kumar, Karthik" <Karthik(dot)AnandKumar(at)classmates(dot)com>
To: pax <pax(dot)deckard(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi Master Replication
Date: 2013-12-23 22:06:58
Lists: pgsql-general

We use symmetricDS pretty extensively, across oracle and postgres
databases. It has its flaws and its strengths. It shines when there's
multiple database platforms involved, when the volume of transactions is
not too high, and supports multi master. Its optimized for wan topologies,
so its great if you have small amounts of data over longer distances, not
as great when there's several gigabytes needing transfer within the same
datacenter. It also has inbuilt insert vs update conflict resolution.

On the flip side, as the volume of writes increases, it can quickly lead
to significant database bloat and high CPU usage. Its also not as fast as
some other tools (like slony, or ora2pg) for initial loads of tables.

It exposes all of its switches and knobs (and there are a *lot* of
tunables), which make it both very flexible, but also prone to breakage if
you fiddle with it too much. Its in active development and we've found the
community forums to be pretty helpful when we run into undocumented bugs.

Let me know if you need help with it.

Thanks,
Karthik