Streaming basebackup initialization does not capture pg_xlog transfer on replica.

From: David DeMann <ddemann(at)keywcorp(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming basebackup initialization does not capture pg_xlog transfer on replica.
Date: 2016-09-21 22:40:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all,

PostgreSQL Version: 9.3

I have an intended single master and single replica setup (for hot standby purposes). The master is fairly large, 3TB database.
I initiate the pg_basebackup command on the replica: "pg_basebackup -Xs -R" (master host and port specified as well) and receive the following output:

Output
transaction log start point: <WAL Hash> on timeline 2
pg_basebackup: starting background WAL receiver
pg_basebackup: could not send replication command "TIMELINE_HISTORY": ERROR: could not open file "pg_xlog/00000002.history": no such file or directory

Result
The backup finishes hours later, and all of the data files seem to be in the target directory, but the pg_xlog is empty, and I assumed that is where all of the logs captured during the backup were intended to be streamed to.

Any insight appreciated.