Re: Performance large tables.

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: PG-General General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance large tables.
Date: 2005-12-12 22:15:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Dec 10, 2005, at 6:37 PM, Benjamin Arai wrote:

> For the most part the updates are simple one liners. I currently
> commit in large batch to increase performance but it still takes a
> while as stated above. From evaluating the computers performance
> during an update, the system is thrashing both memory and disk. I
> am currently using Postgresql 8.0.3.

Then buy faster disks. My current favorite is to use U320 15kRPM
disks using a dual-chanel RAID controller with 1/2 the disks on one
channel and 1/2 on the other and mirroring them across channels, then
striping down the mirrors (ie, RAID10).

I use no fewer than 6 disks (RAID 10) for data and 2 for pg_log in a
RAID1.