Re: Question about PG cache selection strategy

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Sefer Tov <sefer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about PG cache selection strategy
Date: 2006-11-27 01:55:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Nov 23, 2006, at 8:37 AM, Sefer Tov wrote:
> oddities. Clearly the caching algorithm favors caching the indices
> to data (since they are more frequently accessed) but there is
> another case where *recently written* entries are often requested
> shortly after and I am not sure that they get prioritized correctly
> by the cache. My question is whether the cache algorithm caches
> only READ pages or also WRITTEN pages?
> If it does, is there to set some prioritization ratio for these per
> table? It would enable to tune the caching for everyone specific
> needs (if needed).

Any writes to a page happen via shared_buffers, so yes, writes are
cached. Once a page is dirtied, it will stay that way until it's
written out by the background writer, or a checkpoint writes it out.
I believe that the buffer management algorithms can decide that page
should be removed from the buffer, which would also write it out.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net