Re: regarding PG on ZFS performance

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: "Gogala, Mladen (Short Hills)" <mladen(dot)gogala(at)Fiserv(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: regarding PG on ZFS performance
Date: 2022-04-12 19:48:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Apr 12, 2022, at 10:54 AM, Gogala, Mladen (Short Hills) <mladen(dot)gogala(at)Fiserv(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I wouldn’t call turning off data safety “a proper tuning”. It may be faster but can never be deployed to production.

As I explained, that which it protects against cannot happen on a ZFS volume. Therefore turning it off is just fine.

(ZFS fsync operations are themselves atomic, using its own write-ahead log. So full_page_writes does a double write to avoid corruption, but so does ZFS, thus 4X writes, and a major source of slowness. There is NO danger in letting only one of the two do a double-write in order to avoid a partial write ever being read back.)