PostgreSQL Downgrades

From: Pete Wall <Pete_Wall(at)symantec(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Downgrades
Date: 2013-04-05 22:33:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Is it possible to downgrade PostgreSQL by a major version?

If I want to upgrade a PG database from 8.x to 9.x, I have to dump the db, install the new binaries and import the dump file. This works fine going forward, but what if I need to rollback my changes? I cannot dump the 9.x database and import it with 8.x binaries, because the 9.x dump contains keywords that the old binaries don't understand (e.g. REPLICATION).

I could import the original 8.x dump file again, but then I've lost any changes made when using the new binaries.

Is there a supported way to downgrade PostgreSQL by major versions?

Thank you,
-Pete