Re: Help pls with UPDATE

From: "Guy Rouillier" <guyr(at)masergy(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help pls with UPDATE
Date: 2005-11-01 04:40:47
Lists: pgsql-general

go KEY802207 wrote:
> Hi, pgsql-general.
>
> Tell me please, how to update a set of rows using order-
> something like :
>
> update my_table set counter1=nextval('my_seq') order by counter2 ;

The way this is usually done is to issue a SELECT with an ORDER BY
clause, then update the rows that are returned. Many DBMSs have a
SELECT FOR UPDATE and then UPDATE WHERE CURRENT OF CURSOR, but a quick
read of the documentation doesn't list such constructs for PostgreSQL,
so if not you'll need to use separate statements.

--
Guy Rouillier