[Pljava-dev] Remote PL/Java, Summary

From: guyr at masergy(dot)com (Guy Rouillier)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Remote PL/Java, Summary
Date: 2006-04-02 04:36:12
Lists: pljava-dev

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> The third alternative for PL/Java, an approach that gets more viable
> every minute I think about it, is to implement the PostgreSQL backend
> completely in Java.

> Opinions? Suggestions?

Well, not speaking for the developers, obviously, but given the recent
discussion of PostgreSQL history, I can't imagine anyone discarding 10+
years of development to rewrite it all in Java. And I'm sure there
would be plenty of argument whether Java is up to the task. Hypersonic
has been around for a couple years, and I'm not aware of anyone using it
for enterprise databases.

Probably the only remotely feasible approach would be for you to
spearhead a team to write a proof of concept that works against the
existing PG database binary format. If that proof of concept could
demonstrate that Java can do some small set of tasks equally as well as
the current C implementation, people *might* be willing to engage in
further discussion.

Are you suggesting a Java backend as a replacement for the current
engine, or as an alternative?

--
Guy Rouillier