Determine unused / not referenced large Objects

From: Tobias Meyer <tm(at)allocation(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Determine unused / not referenced large Objects
Date: 2012-11-28 09:02:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello list,

we have a database with several tables containing blobs (as oid), that reference large objects in pg_largeobject.
It is my understanding, that the large objects will not be deleted if a row containing the oid is deleted - you have to do that yourself in application logic. (please correct me if wrong)
I think we might not have done that consistently in the past.

Is it safe to assume that pg_largeobject only contains large objects added by application code, or might there be any postgresql-internal objects?

Providing that all BLOB colums are of type oid, I was thinking of getting the fields with
select table_name,column_name from information_schema.columns where data_type = 'oid' and table_name not like 'pg_%' and table_name not like '_pg%';

to create a
select comum1 from table1 UNION select column2 from table2...

and comparing the output with
select distinct loid from pg_largeobject

and subsequently deleting the abandoned ones.

Though we do have backups of course I'm afraid I might be missing something...

regards
Tobias