Re: data checksums

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: bruno vieira da silva <brunogiovs(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: data checksums
Date: 2024-08-07 03:14:22
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Aug 6, 2024, at 19:45, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
> I am surprised by that. Would you say that most storage systems will happily give you a
> garbage block if there was a hardware problem somewhere?

"Most" is hard for me to judge. HDDs can have uncorrected and undetected errors, definitely. ZFS, for example, can correct those (within limits); XFS doesn't try. I have been told that SSDs can have uncorrected/undetected errors as well, but I don't know details on that.

> Turning data checksums on will write WAL for hint bits, which can significantly increase
> the amount of WAL written.

I was curious about that, so I just did a quick experiment using pgbench, with identical databases except for checksums. They both generated the same amount of WAL within 10% or so, so I don't think the impact is huge. (And you need the hint bits for pg_rewind, which is a nice thing to have in your back pocket if required.)