Re: Simplified VALUES parameters

From: Leon Smith <leon(dot)p(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Simplified VALUES parameters
Date: 2014-02-26 19:15:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> And thank you for writing that driver!

You are welcome!

I have no opinion about your request for VALUES() stuff, though. It
> looks fairly complex as far as grammar and libpq is concerned.

Actually, my suggestions wouldn't necessarily impact libpq at all. For
better and worse, postgresql-simple does not currently support
protocol-level parameters at all. While it's clear to me that I do
eventually need to work on supporting protocol-level parameters and support
for the binary formats, it's also become clear to me since I first wrote
it that protocol-level parameters are not a total replacement either, and
that postgresql-simple will still need to support direct parameter
expansion in some cases. (e.g. for values parameters, for identifier
parameters (which aren't yet supported due to the need to drop support for
libpq 8.4), etc.)

Best,
Leon