Is it possible to replicate through an http proxy?

From: Iban Rodriguez <irodbar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is it possible to replicate through an http proxy?
Date: 2020-01-14 12:48:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

for a project we are working on we have the following requirements:
* PostgreSQL server on cloud
* Lot of edge devices that need access to DB
* Edges will only execute SELECT queries. No modification allowed on them.
* Internet access on edges can be lost and data must be accessible while
connection is reestablished.

Our first approach to solve this was to setup a postgreSQL server on each
edge and configure a logical replication from cloud server. This way our
clients always connect to local server who automatically syncs with cloud
server while Internet connection is up and also automatically reconnects
when Internet connection is recovered after connection lost.

However, we facing a new requirement that we do not know how to solve. This
requirement is that access to Internet from edge devices must be done
through a http proxy server. Reading documentation we have not been able to
find a way to create a replication with this limitation. The questions we
would like to ask are:
* Is it possible to create a logical replication with this limitation?
* Is there an alternative solution to our problem bearing in mind this
limitation?

Thank you very much!